Homemade, as in “made from scratch”, has never been my thing. I’ve tried and failed miserably. One thing that I have never been able to master are dumplings for Chicken and Dumplins. Mine always turn out too sticky and taste horrible. And honestly, I don’t have the time to whip up anything from scratch these days. Maybe once the kids get a little older and life calms down a bit, I’ll be able to experiment more in the kitchen. But for at least the next 5 or so years, I am going to be taking the easy way out… a lot.
Luckily, I have found that Pillsbury refrigerated biscuits can actually be used for a lot more than just biscuits. I have even made donut holes out of them before.
I couldn’t decide whether to call this recipe “Easy” or “Lazy” Homemade Chicken & Dumplins. I think the word “Lazy” is a little harsh. I mean, I could be SUPER lazy and just ordered some delicious Chicken & Dumplins from Cracker Barrel. So, if you’re looking for a quick and easy recipe for homemade chicken and dumplings, here you go:
- Rotisserie Chicken, chopped
- Pillsbury Biscuits (8 ct)
- Chicken Broth, Low-Sodium (5 cups)
- Frozen Peas or Carrots or Both (1 cup)
- Cream of Chicken Soup (1 can)
- Cream of Celery Soup (1 can)
- Parsley Flakes (1-2 Tablespoons)
- Small Onion, chopped
- Butter (1 Tablespoon)
- Melt butter in large pot. Add chopped onion and cook until iridescent.
- Add chicken brother and both cans of soup. Mix until well blended.
- Simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Add chunks of rotisserie chicken meat. Stir. Add peas or carrots. Stir. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Break chunks of biscuits into about the size of a quarter and roll. Drop them in pot. Allow to cook on low-medium until dumplings are cooked thoroughly.